This denial comes despite the fact that the source of the allegations is a US general, Antonio Taguba, who is extremely familiar with the evidence and is already on the record (in a 2007 interview with the New Yorker) as having seen a video of an American soldier raping a female detainee.
This issue has become a real conundrum for US public relations and "force protection," or so it seems to me. Obama now wants to interdict the release of more of the Abu Ghraib photos in order to protect the lives of US troops overseas. Yet everybody and his grandmother knows that the photos exist, and that they document some horrific acts on the part of US troops. Until the images are actually released, imaginations are likely to run toward the worst, even as the US will be accused of covering them up. I begin to wonder how much the continued suppression of them is really "protecting" US forces overseas.
- ► 2012 (165)
- ► 2011 (339)
- ► 2010 (305)
- Israeli ministers: No West Bank settlement freeze
- Anthony Shadid on the Effects of US Occupation in ...
- More Washington Post nonsense on Israel-Palestine
- Pentagon denies report Iraq prison photos show rap...
- Roger Cohen: Obama in Netanyahu's web(?)
- Biden: Aid to Lebanon Depends on Elections
- Netanyahu throws Obama a bone
- Obama quashed Israel military option against Iran
- Iran as existential threat?
- An Iranian nuclear weapon would be "calamitous"?!
- Releasing detainees - Guantanamo and Iraq
- Iran's New Long-Range Missile
- Frank Rich on the ongoing legacy of George W. Bush...
- Why did Petraeus oust McKiernan?
- Abu Ghraib, Act II
- Israel no longer getting special diplomatic treatm...
- Obama and the Long Haul in Pakistan and Afghanista...
- A New - and Big! - Oil Discovery in Iraqi Kurdista...
- Clinton Expresses Regret for Civilian Casualties i...
- John Bolton on the "Spanish inquisition"
- Afghanistan = Vietnam = tar baby? (once again)
- Muqtada al-Sadr now a Grand Ayatollah?
- Pakistan in a Critical Hour, While AIPAC Heads Rig...
- Hamid Karzai criticised for selecting former warlo...
- Old Troubles Stir in Baghdad. . . and around the M...
- Lessons, and costs, of empire
- A Young Marine’s Dream Job
- ▼ May (27)